Saturday, November 28, 2015

Novel Collage



Note: This blog was originally published October 12.
My novel Sound has flown away (by which I mean through the wires) to be printed. In celebration, I’ve created a collage that encapsulates the story in my head.
Collage is a fantastic medium; an art form that doesn’t cost anything other than time. To make mine I use old magazines, a glue stick, scissors, and a secondhand poetry book.
The best bit is the way you can’t really plan the final result. Obviously a rough sketch/outline is the first step, but from there, chaos kind of takes over.
I love seeing different moods and emotions creep in. I love how beautifully organic, and tactile, the process can be. I love that you end up awash in a sea of paper.
All my collages are full of symbols that make the artwork personal. In this case I’ve included symbols that represent elements from the novel.
Obviously the visual will make more sense after reading Sound, but references to aspects of the story include:
mask/woman/dome/stars/twins
curly hair/heart/tattoo
flowers/water/ fruit/apple
kaleidoscope/sparkling disks/diamonds
music symbols (musician, speaker, cables, instrument)
bird/cage/frame/feathers
architecture/cubes/broken fence/street/
blue/yellow/gray
clinical lights/street light/starlight/red lights
lots & lots of word…
xxx

Follow on Instagram and Twitter as @gil_e_liane 

No comments:

Post a Comment