Saturday, November 28, 2015

Who Says The Holiday Season Isn't Productive?


Note: This blog originally appeared online December 26th, 2014.

Last night I started writing a story about a man who (somehow) created sculptures with his thoughts; he would stand in front of a space, and the piece would grow from the wall or floor. The more he made, the deeper he dug into his own psyche, and the more unpredictable each creation became.


Artists often talk about the gap between visualization and actualization. What the audience sees rarely satisfies the artist because what they manage to get out into the world is a culled down version of the concept in their head. And by culled, I mean so much of the emotion and thought that goes into each work of art (the more ephemeral elements) often fall by the wayside when the idea is manifested in physical form.

I love the notion of sculptures coming straight from the mind, because it implies a certain purity to the translation of an artist’s vision. But then I liked the follow-on idea/realization that artists often subconsciously shape, even censor, their own work; sculptures coming from the mind to the physical world without filtering would cause problems for the artist in an entirely new way.

A novel idea with so much narrative potential, I’m going to let it swim around in my subconscious for a while!

This is my rough sketch reminder, so I can go back to the text at a later date and finish it off. (But at least the seeds, roots and maybe a few sprouts are already in place.)

2015 will be the Year of Stories for me. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year x

Follow on Instagram and Twitter as @gil_e_liane 

No comments:

Post a Comment